Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:11:28 -0700
If you use separate partition for programs, there will be on speed
advantage. Both programs and system files will be accessed on the same
drive. If you move programs to another physical drive and have it on
another IDE (or SCSI) interface, then both drives can be accessed by the
computer at the same time without interference with each other. This
should theoretically make the disk access up to twice as fast. In
practice, I have not seen great improvement, but I am sure that it is
better than having everything on one physical drive.

To keep things clean, I place my swap file on a separate partition that
is approximately the size of the swap file. How big the swap file needs
to be depends on you RAM. The swap file needs to be big enough to store
the contents of your RAM. Hence, the more RAM you have, the larger the
swap file needs to be. However, if you have enough RAM, your system may
not need to invoke the swap file - it is a tricky thing. I found that
Adobe Photoshop need a large swap file regardless of how much RAM you
have. At least my 640MB of RAM was not enough for Adobe!

If you have two drives, I would put the system files on one drive and
the programs and swap file on the second drive. The swap file should
probably be on its own partition. Just my view.

Peter