Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:51:23 -0800
On 3 Feb 99, at 8:43, Ira Wallin wrote:

> I want to thank everyone for the answers I've received on this
> question. This is what I am trying to accomplish. I am scanning in
> art work and/or photos and want to save it in a format that is really
> close to the original.  If I save it right from the HP Scan as JPG,
> it gives me a choice of better to best.  Saving it as best right
> after the scan seems to give me the best resolution.  But saving it
> on Adobe Photo Deluxe as JPG, it doesn't come out as well.  Any
> additional thoughts?

  .JPG is a "lossy" compression format -- although it supports more
colour depth than .GIF, sharp edges at angles or curved are likely to
appear slightly jagged when displayed.
  .GIF is also a compression format, but lossless and, I think, limited
to 256 colours.  So it's better for large areas of flat colour rather
than delicate/subtle shading, and does a good job on sharp edges.

  In general, .JPG yields smaller file sizes for images over about 20K
bytes.  Below that size, .GIF often yields smaller files, and because
the sharp edges are a little more precise, .GIF images may scale up a
little in size better than .JPG files do.

  I suspect that saving to GIF will get you better results out of Adobe
Photo Deluxe.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html