Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:34:01 -0400
Kevin,

As I have often stated, I am sick of paying tribute to the robber barons of
MS.  The basic (standard) MS Office 2000 upgrade has a list price of $249.
The Corel Office 2000 upgrade is only $99.  Same set of applications/tools
with the exact same capabilities.  No... wait... Corel gives you extra
software (Trellix, PhotoHouse, and FontNavigator).  (BTW, did you know that
in the latest poll of the richest men in the world, 3 of the top 4 are from
MS?)

So I am always interested in good, non-MS products.
But I will have to differ with you this time.

No offense intended, but,  in previous posts, I think you made a number of
subjective comments about the differences.  And since several people have
said that they are watching this discussion, I would like to clear up the
issue by making some objective comparisons based on the published data at
both web sites.

I have gone through the entire GoLive web site (including several of the key
tutorials)  and I see no major differences in the BASIC OPERATION of GoLive
and FP.  It took a few minutes to decipher all the marketing double-speak
(the "Inspector Window" eliminates the need for dialog boxes --- funny... I
always though that a dialog box IS a window OR the "groundbreaking point and
shoot tool"  --  sure sounds like a normal windows "point and click" to me.)
but I think I understand the product as well as anyone can from just reading
about it. <grin>

They both have the exact same features and capabilities for creating and
editing a web page or web site.  They have different names for the items,
but the function is the same.  For example, GoLive calls it a "dynamic
component" while FP uses "themes", but the end result is the same -- a
consistent look to the headers/banners, sidebars, buttons, etc. throughout
the web.  GoLive calls them a "palette", FP calls them "templates" but they
are both preformatted pages.  Just to name a couple.

Some might argue that GoLive gives more precise control of graphic
placement, but when you consider that ALL graphical editors must ultimately
reduce the file to HTML (which is a MARKUP language not a LAYOUT language)
they ALL end up with a table of rows and columns.  The only difference is
that GL uses various sized blank gifs for padding where most systems use the
NBSP. In my mind, that small amount of extra precision is not worth the
trade off.  All those different sized blank gifs just add to the complexity
of the HTML code AND....blank or not, gifs take more time to download than
four character text commands.

Granted, I have not actually used GoLive and I have been using FP since the
original beta test, BUT I have tried to be unbiased and use only published
facts from the respective web sites.

     GoLive costs twice as much as FP2000.
     ($299 list price vs $149 list price)

     FP has 14 basic administrative reports (which can be
     customized) to analyze the web site,  Reports like:
     slowest downloading pages, oldest pages, recently added
     pages, recently changed pages, unverified links, broken links,
     unfinished tasks (ToDos), and more.  GL has....... one?
     I couldn't find any text describing reports -- anywhere on the site,
     and the animated graphic only shows the "Misssing File" ERROR
     report plus two ambiguous tabs labeled FTP and EXTRAS).
     I think it is odd that a page entitled "Web Site Management" has
     nothing to say about reports or analysis tools.  It just speaks
     about how easy it is to move a page or sub web -- but =all=
     the SITE design packages can do that.
     In all fairness, GL does have the ability to test some of the items
     I listed above, BUT you must go to each INDIVIDUAL page
     and MANUALLY perform the test.  Imagine visiting all 80
     or 300 pages....  FP automatically checks every page when
     you generate the report.  BUT as I said in an earlier post...
     FP can not print the reports (sigh.... typical MS... they
     design something really good but then they stop 2 feet
     in front of the finish line)

     All versions of FP have built-in hoverbuttons.
     GL has "step by step instructions for creating your own
     rollover buttons"

    Both FP 98 and 2000 provide database access via queries.
    GL does not (or they forgot to mention it)

    FP2000 integrates seemlessly with the Office package.
    GL is not tied to any other software

    FP 2000 was designed as a collaboration tool with many editors
    (workgroup) contributing content. It can assign different pages or
    sub-webs to different authors/editors.  It has mulitple level
    password protection (Editor A can't mess with Editor B's pages),
    TO DO lists which can be assigned to either the page or a
    person  ---    and tracked.
    I saw nothing that sounded similar to any of these for GL

And as a final note....

When you visit www.microsoft.com/frontpage and view the page's HTML code you
can see that Front Page was used to create the site.  When you visit
www.adobe.com/prodindex/golive/main.html and view the HTML, it doesn't say
what program was used to create the site.

I'm sorry Kevin, but I just didn't see anything that demonstrates GL is a
superior product.  In fact, it seems to have less features for a whole lot
more money.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====

http://www.adobe.com

         The PCSOFT web site always needs good submissions.  If
               software tech tips or software reviews to: