Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:52:35 -0500
Good Morning George,

Try the following link to the Network Associates / McAfee.com
VIRUS INFORMATION LIBRARY @
http://vil.mcafee.com/default.asp .

After reachng the site, do a search for viruses containing the text string
"mtx" (no quotes).

You'll find comprehensive information here on the many variants of the MTX
virus and step-by-step instructions on how to permanently remove it from
your infected system.

Jeffrey Ottie

Original Message -----
From: "George Parmenter" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2000 7:20 PM
Subject: [PCSOFT] need help: mtx worm

A relative of mine who had sent me attachments in the past, sent me the
mtx worm recently. I was able to get to f-prot's url and download their
latest def files. I have rebooted into dos, run f-prot. It finds the
mtx_.exe, deletes it, finds the ie_pack.exe and deletes it, finds the
win32.dll and deletes it. I downloaded their registry repair .reg file
to my desktop and use regedit to execute that also while in full dos
mode. When I reboot into windows and look at the registry the values
under local machine/software and local
machine/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run look ok.

However, as soon as I right click on anything my dun "connect to" dialog
box opens (where I type in my password to connect to my isp). After that
if I check the windows directory, all three of the mtx components are
back again. I also have a little utility called TaskInfo2000 which
allows me to terminate processes running on my computer. Using that I
have been able to terminate mtx_.exe and then temporarily at least
delete it as well as its other components. I know that it will soon be
back if I can't figure out how to completely get rid of it. Can anyone
give me any help with this problem?

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html