Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:06:29 -0500
From: Computer9f
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] Virtual Memory Query

These instructions are so wrong that they are criminally negligent!

The sad thing is that they are so not necessary.  It works perfectly well to touch the computer.  I frequently work with short
sleeves so that I maintain a frequent contact with the computer if I don't have my wrist strap on!

1.  Do NOT work on a computer with it plugged in!!  Ever!  (Unless you are a trained technician and know the dangers.)

2.  The computer itself does NOT have to be grounded to drain of static charge!  The laws of Physics provide for that quite well.

3.  There is no basis in fact that the static charge is likely to go into the memory or other parts.  Where on earth did that come
from?  The metal case (if the case is not metal than none of this holds true) being a spherical-like structure will have the static
charge move to the outside and dissipate off of the sharper points.

4.  There is basically no difference in building a computer and repairing it.  You keep the computer unplugged and ground yourself
somewhere, if possible.

I cannot emphasize this enough, do NOT work on a computer that is plugged in!  The chances of being harmed are very, very small, but
it is YOUR LIFE that you are gambling!

Dean Kukral

The instructions that came with my computer (as well as my electronic engineer husband) said, for maintenance, to turn it off, but
leave it plugged in, and then ground yourself to the steel (not the aluminum) to protect the electronics from damage.  You don't
have to ground yourself to the PC; you can ground yourself elsewhere, but the computer itself must be grounded.  All computers have
a grounded (three-prong) plug that carries static electricity "to ground."  If you put a static charge into an ungrounded computer,
the charge is likely to go into the memory or other electronic part, rather than be harmlessly discharged through the ground wire.

This is for maintenance - replacing things or cleaning.  When you BUILD a computer, you have to have/keep everything on anti-static
mats and be VERY careful to ground yourself elsewhere with a strap, because you have no ground for static electricity until you have
enough put together to plug it in and ground it, being sure to TURN IT OFF.  The "turn it off" part is very important.

You could ground yourself elsewhere for maintenance, but that does not ground the computer and you are not the only source of
electrostatic charges.  Vacuums and all sorts of things transmit electrostatic charge.

--AnnaSummers