Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2012 13:15:13 -0400
Hi Diane,

It's unfortunate that you chose one of the two least desirable options to "repair" your computer

 since the problems you had were relatively minor.

One is the  (Factory) Recovery option and the other is a re-format and re-install of the OS and everything else you had up to this point.

Either one is a solution of last resort when the system is so corrupted or infected by a virus that nothing else can solve it.

They're not meant to resolve relatively minor problems.

I hope the readers take note and not take actions that set them back further than before they started this.

First thing to check is the Action panel and there are also several repair options in the boot menu.

For problems that crop up suddenly , System Restore is a viable option ,provided it's enabled beforehand.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

This also shows the importance of a proper up-to-date backup ,preferably in the form of a System or partition Image.

A factory recovery will be old at some point and the last thing you want to do is to revert to a state

 that may be several month or even years old and thereby losing all your updates and installed programs that have been added

since the date of the Factory Recovery image.

In most cases a simple System Restore will suffice. If the problems are more extensive  and SR doesn't solve the problem,

you may have to resort to your own recent backup image.

There are many free image creators  - I did an extensive post a while ago about those programs

http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?A2=ind1110&L=pcsoft&F=&S=&P=4549

Even paid-for imaging programs are often on sale and might set you back $30 or so, a small price to pay for the insurance

it will give you to restore your setup painlessly to the date of the image.

Coming back to your initial problems, the errors you encountered were simply due to some corruption

 in the AMD Catalyst Control Center -  CCC - either because of an update of the graphics- or Control Center drivers or because of a corruption. Had you done a search or posted this on this forum or another ,you would've found it to be a fairly common occurrence,

which may have been able to be solved by rolling back the affected drivers or by repairing them.

I know ,all this is "water under the bridge" and you may have to deal with the situation as created unless in some miraculous way

your old Restore Points still exist under System Restore.

To be honest I don't know since I've never employed the factory reset simply because it's too drastic and can set you back months or years.

A regular creation of a backup or an image is the way to go IMHO.

As to the Jump List, you're either missing the update

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2607576)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27788

or the programs haven't been re-installed as yet.

Jump List is nothing more than Recently Used programs. So if you haven't used them or they're not installed ,you won't have a Jump List.

In previous OS versions they were categorized as MRU (Most Recently Used)

Peter E.