Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 02:16:36 -0700
Mario writes:

<<I have installed Quick Time 5.0 several times. I keep getting the
following ,message. Quick Time failed to initialize error #2093. Please
make sure Quick Time is properly installed on this computer. I am
running Win98SE, Netscape Communicator 4.79. Please Advise what
wrong.>>

Quicktime 4 & 5 are notoriously quirky on many computers.  Some techs I
know won't allow it to be installed on computers within their control.  You
have only to visit Apple's FAQ forum to see the endless troubles this can
cause, and the spectacular lack of support by Apple( at least about a year
ago when I tried unsuccessfully to install it).

After trying all sorts of fixes, I finally gave up and reverted to
Quicktime 3 which has always been quite satisfactory.  Even after I managed
to get Q5 to initialize, it steadfastly refused to actually play anything,
just crashed my computer every time.

It seems that on some (most?) systems, it is very difficult if not
impossible to install satisfactorily, at least not without a lot of messing
around with various registry settings which seem different for various
computers.  A lot seems to depend on what other similar programs you
already have installed (such as MediaPlayer, RealPlayer).

There are some simple fixes which might be worth trying, which you will
find on the Apple site (though the Quicktime forum is buried pretty much
out of sight, not surprisingly.  You just have to hunt around the Apple
site to find it ---if it still exists).  Be prepared for much trial and error.

Unfortunately, on some (perhaps older?) computers, it can be a total
disaster. Some say that Microsoft have tried to kill it off--I wouldn't
know about that.

Uninstalling it may leave fatal remnants in your Win.ini file and in
various parts of the registry, which you will have to remove manually.

Don Penlington

Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml