Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:29:33 -0700
On 24 Oct 2001, at 15:51, Diane Kroeckel wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>
> I just got the BSOD using searching a message in my Juno e-mail.
> The codes were: 0177:BFF9DFFF.  I had to finally reset my computer
> to reboot. Any ideas?
>
> Also, is there a code book that I can get so I know what these
> codes mean?
>
> Diane Kroeckel

> Also, is there a code book that I can get so I know what these
> codes mean?

  Not really.

  0177:BFF90FFF is a "32-bit protected mode" address, and is only
part of the information about what went wrong.  (The rest of the
information would indicate "How was the CPU trying to use this
address?" and "Why couldn't it do that?")

  [Such an address consists of two parts, a "selector" and an offset.

  The selector portion ("0177") identifies an entry in one of the
descriptor tables (the GDT Global Descriptor table or the current LDT
Local Descriptor table) and a few status bits.  The descriptor entry
will include things like the maximum and minimum valid offsets
(potentially 0 and 4GB), where these offsets map to in the CPU's
theoretical address space, whether this selector allows read/write or
read-only access to that space, and so on.
  The offset portion ("BFF90FFF") is not too far below the 3GB point
in a potential span from 0 through 4GB.

  The CPU has six current selector registers.  One is used to provide
access to the code being executed, usually read-only.  Four provide
general-purpose access to data and are usually read/write; the fifth
is used for "stack" access and, under Win32, is usually the same as
the data selectors.]

  Without knowing what applications you had running, which WIndows
version (and probably a copy of the source for that, which Microsoft
doesn't let out!), and without knowing what went wrong, this
shorthand form for *where* it went wrong doesn't do much good.
  The code book you want doesn't -- can't! -- exist.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml