Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Tim Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:53:16 -0700
> Behalf Of Philippe J Beaulieu
> Subject: [PCSOFT] software program wont work
>
> to run it, it wont work. i get an error stating i need a pentium
> class machine
> to run it, i do have a pentium, its a cyrix pr200+
> philippe beaulieu

Philippe-

The program is looking for *specific* information about the processor being
a pentium class machine.  While the Cyrix has the performance of a Pentium
200, the chip does not return the specific information needed to prove it is
a "Pentium class machine". By the way, the PR stands for "performance rating
or performance results".  So the chip may not actually BE a 200.

Unless there is a utility that will jump in and provide this information
(lie!) to your daughter's program, you're out of luck.  Check with Cyrix or
the motherboard maker to see if they make such a utility available.  The
game maker may even have a fix.

Two lessons:

1- Some software is written better than others... obviously this particular
program took the easy route and asks the chip to prove it is a Pentium. They
overlooked the "alternative chips".

2- You sometimes will have problems with non-Intel chips (especially Cyrix).
If you don't believe me, check out their web site.  A prominent link on
their home page takes you to the "compatibility list".  If there weren't
problems, this wouldn't be necessary.

Tim A. Greer
Micro Support Bureau
www.microsupport.com

         The PCSOFT web site always needs good submissions.  If
               software tech tips or software reviews to: