Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:36:35 +1000
Diane writes:

<<Since I'm already running AVG, I turned off Windows Defender.  No viruses
yet. I did run Malwarebyes and it found something in my registry>>

That's hardly surprising. I regularly see computers runnning AVG that are
full of trojans and other malware, some of which can be very damaging.
Scanning in Safe Mode prevents most malware from opening and thus protected
itself from discovery.

Many owners wonder how that can be, when running a scan with AVG turns up
nothing. The answer, of course, is that if AVG let them in in the first
place, then obviously it's not going to  recognise them in a scan. These
people are usually amazed when I show them the Malwarebytes scan log.

I, and many technicians and journals, have until recently recommended Avira
as a first choice for security software. (Plus it's free). But the latest
version which has just come out requires you to first uninstall
Malwarebytes. I didn't want to do that, so I went ahead and installed the
new Avira anyway and ended up with neither Avira nor Malwarebytes being
functional!  (Hardly surprising)

After restoring, I'm now back to using the older version of Avira, which
seems quite OK and is still supported. I guess there are technical reasons
why the new Avira is incompatible, but I'm not willing to put all my eggs
into its basket just yet.

I think Avira has really shot itself in the foot by not being compatible
with other installed security software, even when that software is
inactive. I'd be most reluctant to get rid of Malwarebytes, and I should
think most other people would be too.

So now I really don't know what to recommend as the "best" antimalware
software combination. Maybe it's time to try MSSE, as it seems to have a
good following. Maybe Avira will realise what they've done and come up with
a better solution.

Avast seems to be popular and trouble free, though I'm not sure it has
quite the power of Avira.

Don Penlington

                    digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml