Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 06:42:00 -0500
At 05:07 12/10/05, David Gillett wrote:
>   No.  The only places I've seen a choice between text and HTML is in
>expressing a preference to a sender/site you DO want to receive email
>from.
>If spammers cared about your preference, they wouldn't send stuff to
>people
>who'd prefer not to receive it!
>   One of the things real spammers do is contantly generate random fake
>"From:" lines, so they slide right by sender block lists.  It's sounding
>like Verizon's spam blocker is causing problems for real email (see other
>threads here...) and not really stemming the tide of actual spam.

Besides having a Road Runner account, I also have a Verizon account...
which I use for a lot of email. I found that I couldn't keep subscribed
to PCSOFT or PCBUILD, probably because the subscriber probes from
Listserv were bounced back as undeliverable. The same thing happened
with other mailing lists. Or it may be that if just one or two messages
from some mailing list can't be delivered (for whatever reason...for
example, a Verizon email server crash or temporary outage), that list
will suspend your subscription until you reactivate it.

I went to my Verizon email account webpage (I didn't know I had one until
someone told me about it) and turned "my" spam filters all the way down
(they were set high by default). Verizon started "offering" this service
(individual spam filters) for everyone sometime during the last year.

You might be surprised to know that last year Verizon started an unofficial
policy (that means that they never officially admitted doing it) of
blocking
ALL email to their subscribers that comes from Europe. No exceptions. This
angered a lot of people and I don't know if they have stopped doing it.
(For example, if you have friends or relatives in Europe, you need to use
a different email provided to converse with them.) As late as October of
this year there were discussions about this policy in the Verizon
newsgroup <0.verizon.email.discussion-general>.

Many people used to email me at other email addresses and say that they
couldn't reach my Verizon address. And vice versa.

Many Internet Service Providers (Road Runner for one) used to have a policy
of blocking entire domains if even one of their customers complained of
getting a spam message (just one message!) from that domain. (For example,
Road Runner would block all email from Earthlink if even one Road Runner
customer complained of getting one spam message that came from an Earthlink
address.) Road Runner would not lift the block unless an officer from
that domain's (Earthlink in my example) Security Department personally
contacted them. Now that spammers commonly spoof the From addresses of
most of their messages, I don't know if this banning of entire domains
is still in effect.

Regards,
Bill

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's: