Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 19:44:53 +1000
Hulda wrote:
>In spite of my having Zone Alarm and=
>  I just signed up for the free 15 day trial of the paid version>>

Many people have a misconception of the functions of a firewall. Just
because you have a firewall running, it doesn't mean that your computer is
fully protected. Other measures are necessary.

Once you have given your firewall permission for your browser, and other
programs such as Messenger and your emailer, to access the internet, then
anything coming in via that program will generally be allowed by the
firewall. It is common for malware to piggyback into your computer via
software you may download through your browser (eg free screensavers,
fonts, cards) or from bad websites via your browser. Problem is, these
sites usually look very genuine, so it's hard to tell the good from the bad.

You click on a link in what seems a genuine email from your Bank, and go to
what appears to be your Bank website. Problem is, the site belongs to some
foreign gentleman (or woman) who is delighted to secretly probe your
computer for your bankcard details, passwords, etc.

It is the purpose of active Antispyware programs such as ZA Pro, Defender,
etc to catch these nasties. And, of course, such antispyware is only as
good as its latest database updates. It is NOT the function of a basic
firewall to do so.  though many firewalls do have an additional
anti-spyware function, but usually only in the paid version. These will
also monitor suspicious behaviour.

The Gibson site used to have a utility for closing vulnerable ports---I
don't know if it's still there. (But you might lose Messenger in the
process, as I think it accesses one of the vulnerable ports).

I still think the most likely cause of your problems, other than the
physical limitations of Satellite connections, is that your computer may
have already been compromised by malware.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                 our special coffee cups and mouse pads
              with the PCSOFT logo...  at a great price!!!