Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Heather Stratton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:25:24 -0500
Hi Barbara.  You can control headers and footers in different sections.  First, to insert a section you click:  Insert/Break and in the Break dialog window, you go down to Section Break Types and select the one that applies (I always use next page.

In order to view a section (or page) break, you View the document in Normal View.

Since you want the page number different in the first page, you will also have to create a section break for the second and subsequent pages (ie separate the first page as a section unto itself!).

Then, when you go into View Header/Footer you can set up the different page numbers - set up the first page.  Then make sure you are in the second page and do View Header Footer again.  The page number will show at the top so in the Header Footer dialog, you need to turn off "same as previous" icon and clear the header.  Then put the page number in the footer - there's an icon there (third one from the left i think) to format the page number - you it to "continue from previous section".

It works but it is picky stuff - sometimes you have to redo to get it right - but once the two pages are done, then the subsequent pages will pick up the footer from the second page section.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:59:35 -0600, Shaw, Barbara <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm running Windows XP and Word 2000. I am writing my dissertation and have
>to have the first page number of each chapter in the footer--centered and
>each succeeding page in the header--upper right. The numbers are
>continuous--that is, they don't start with 1 in each chapter but continue
>from the previous. I cannot get Word to do this. Could someone give me some
>clear directions? I understand each chapter needs to be a different section,
>but where do you insert the section break and what kind of break? Please
>help!
>TIA
>Barbara Shaw
>
>                Curious about the people moderating your
>                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml