Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:43:30 -0600
I hope this might be considered on topic enough to get distributed ...
Perhaps if it is, responses could be sent to me privately and I can write a
summary after a while to keep the traffic in the list down?

Despite the care I've taken over the years to prevent getting credit or
other personal information stolen on BBSs and over the Internet, somehow
someone got my checking account debit card number and my name and was able
to open a membership on a pornographic Web site.  Two charges were made
against my account before I got the first statement showing the first
charge.  I got the membership cancelled immediately and cancelled the debit
card.  The rest of the information given by the person who opened the
membership (email address, IP address) had nothing to do with me and was
completely bogus as far as I have been able to find out.

Could the list readers make suggestions on how someone could have gotten
hold of this information either via the Internet or any other way?  How
about some suggestions on how to track down an email address when the
domain name exists but none of the well-known methods of finding the email
address show anything?

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html