Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 04:01:59 +0200
Why do some TrueType fonts print on certain laser printers and not on
others?

Yes, I do realize that there are 16-bit and 32-bit fonts. I'm not referring
to that issue (but there too, I would expect all fonts to work on 32-bit
systems).

This problem doesn't arise only on fancy display fonts. I've seen Arial and
Times New Roman (!) fail to print on a brand-new HP LaserJet 1200, yet when
I plugged in an HP LaserJet 6L to the same computer, it printed well. This
occurred in an Access database table (it printed the numbers but not the
letters) and on random words in a multi-font advertisement in Word.

In this case, after extensive experimentation, I found that the basic
Windows fonts (as mentioned) didn't work, but I could substitute Arial
Narrow Bold, and get a reasonable effect. That's a kludge if I ever saw one!

I'm not using old drivers. I replaced the driver that came with the printer
with a new, downloaded one. It doesn't help.

What causes one font to print and another one not to print?

I'm using a new 1.1GB computer with 256K RAM and Win98Hebrew/English SE.

David Grossman

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml