Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
George Parmenter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:16:56 -0500
Hi and thanks to all who tried to help me with my mtx worm woes.
Unfortunately by the time I wrote the list and my message was published I
was too far wounded by this worm to recover. Very soon I could not boot
into Windows anymore. I tried to salvage a few things using dos but of
course most things were too big to fit on a floppy and dos didn't recognize
my zip drive. Finally I gave up, reformatted c: and reinstalled Windows 95.
That went pretty smoothly once I figured out how to solve the problem of
dos not recognizing my cd rom drive. But then Windows couldn't recognize my
internal modem. It said the modem was installed on com 2 with irq 3. But in
the device manager there was only a com 1 and a lpt 1. Every time I tried
to install another port it would install something other than com 2.
Finally after a while I went to the bios and found that there were two
ports (a and b) and that a was enabled and b was not. So I took a chance
and enabled b. Then finally windows recognized my modem and installed it on
com 3 interrupt 5. Anyway, it works and though I only vaguely understand
why, I nevertheless think that I learned many things. First of all not to
open attachments unless you are expecting them. There are some real nasty
worms and viruses out there and I hope everyone on this list can avoid
them. It only takes a double click. By the way, I had the latest version of
F-Prot and the latest signature files I thought. When I first got the virus
it detected it and said that it had deleted it. I thought I was saved and
only about a week later realized that I still had it. By that time it had
infected many files in my Windows system directory. Thanks again to
everyone for trying to help and Happy New Year.
George

                         http://nospin.com/rode