Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 21:19:01 -0500
Linda:
The reason for programs such as MTUSpeed is that the default
transmission settings in Windows '95 are set up for a local network
rather than dialup web access. Changing them will speed things up. (I'm
not sure about later Win versions.) I installed one of them, accepted
the defaults, and performance did improve -- the most noticeable
improvement was that there were a lot less pauses when pages were
downloading.

However, I expect that your real problem is either your ISP or your
connection; given the wide variation in connect speeds, my prime suspect
would be the ISP. I was originally with a provider where slow connects
and frequent hang-ups were the norm. It never got any better in spite of
all of their reassurances. I changed providers, and the problems pretty
much disappeared. I usually connect at 50,333, but there are times when
it takes a few tries to make a connection. I've also noticed that it can
be in the 40's at noon -- I expect that it's all the people who surf
from work on their lunch hour.

The quality of the phone lines between you and the Telco office is also
a big factor. The lines here (Goldsboro, NC) are only a few years old,
and there's a switch point less than a quarter mile down the road. A
couple of times a year I move my computer to a house in Raleigh where
the lines were installed in the early 1960's. There, anything in the
40's is a happy occurrence.

My advice: Call your ISP and see what they say. If they aren't
responsive, it may be time to check around for another source. You
should also ask your telephone company, although some of them are not
known for being overly responsive. Legally, all that they have to
provide is voice quality service, and you aren't going to get a whole
lot of bytes through that.

Regards,
Carroll