Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Kelly Younger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:44:43 -0600
Bob Wright wrote:

> At 12:10 PM 12/16/1999 , you wrote:
> >Hi listers;
> >
> >I'm having trouble connecting to the SETI server to upload the finished
> >packet, running the command line for win nt and 98 version. I just get a
> >"Attempt to connect timed out without establishing connection" I was
> >wandering if anybody else running SETI has encountered this problem, or
> >is it just me and my ISP. Regards,
> >
> >Amado
>
> Several people have written to me this week about this issue.
>
> I understand Seti have been upgrading software this week at the
> server.  There was some report that SETI is preparing to offer the
> Windows v2 of the SETI software and that required a major server
> upgrade to support it, (I cannot verify this).
>
> One of the biggest factors though is the now 1.5 million people using
> the system, at times overburden the connection into SETI and it makes
> it difficult for everyone to connect.  The best advice is to just try later...
> typically the early morning hours are best to connect.
>
>     Bob Wright
> The NOSPIN Group

<<cut and paste from SETI@home newsletter>>

--------------------------
PROJECT STATUS

With your assistance, SETI@home has been amazingly successful.
1,500,000 people in 224 countries have downloaded the SETI@home
screensaver
and together they have contributed 125,000 years of computer time,
with the common goal of finding the first sign of
intelligent extraterrestrial life.

We've been recording data at the Arecibo radio telescope since December
1998,
and most of the data through May 1999 has now been analyzed.
100 million signals have been detected and stored in our database.
The second-phase processing, which rejects man-made interference and
looks for "repeat" signals, will start soon.
This is when we hope to actually detect an ET signal!
Furthermore, thanks to the abundance of computing power,
we'll be augmenting SETI@home to look for new types of signals.

As the number of users has grown, we've had to upgrade our servers
several times to handle the load.
Sometimes it's been hard to connect (sorry!) but our
most recent upgrades have fixed this problem for now.
--------------------------
VERSION 2.0 COMING SOON

Most people are running version 1.06 of our software.
Early next year we'll release version 2.0, which has many new features
and works better through firewalls and proxies.
For more details, see
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/version20.html

When version 2.0 is available for your type of computer,
you'll be notified automatically the next time your computer
completes a work unit.  When that happens, you'll need
to download the new version from our web site.

--
Kelly Younger

         PCSOFT only works if you contribute. Send your messages
              to be posted to: [log in to unmask]