Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Michael Wosnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:56:34 -0400
Hello all,

I  have had a cable modem for some time now and since my computer is on a
lot, and since whenever it is on, I am basically "on" the Internet, it
struck me that I might be vulnerable to malicious individuals who could gain
access to my system. The matter is made worse (I think) by the fact that my
cable provider has assigned me a static IP number. I assume this means that
anyone who learns my IP number might well be able to get into my computer
from the net.

Questions:

1) are the above assumptions true?

2) If so, I would like to consider some sort of personal firewall program
(i.e., for a stand-alone home PC) that will give me more security. Does
anyone have a recommendation. If I install such a program, how much hassle
does this create for me in uploading/downloading/emailing etc for the extra
security it brings?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Michael A. Wosnick
Richmond Hill, Ontario

         PCSOFT only works if you contribute. Send your messages
              to be posted to: [log in to unmask]