Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:59:42 -0400
Here is a short version of the process of "deleting".
It may not be exactly right for all versions of Windows, but
is close enough.

When a file is deleted, several things happen.
In older Windows (and DOS) the first letter is changed to
something special by the OS  to indicate the filename in no
longer valid or used.
The space used by the file is marked available for use.

When the recycle bin came along, things changed.
The file was re-named and the old name was stored and hidden
from being used.  The file space was marked as still in use so
nothing would write over the file.
Depending on settings, the file would no longer be protected
in this way when the older files were pushed out by newer ones.

Once a file is no longer in the recycle bin, it is "still" on the harddrive
until the physical space is needed by the OS for something else.
The reason you can't normally see it is there are no "pointers"
(or index) to the file telling where it is.

The next step is critical. WHEN the OS writes anything in the space
occupied by the old file, it is sort of gone.
(This is not strictly true, but the costs of recovery are VERY high.)

The BEST way to recover a file deleted is to try right away
AND do not allow ANYTHING to write to the drive (including
Windows).  This includes NOT installing recovery software to the
drive in question.
Either a program run from a bootable floppy should be used, or the
drive removed to a different machine and worked on from there
using the OS and software of the "other" machine.

While "doing" a recovery, it is important to NOT write to the drive
being recovered from... This will disturb FAT/MFT records for
this and other deleted entries (and possibly overwrite the "next"
file you will attempt to recover...)

Here is a site for a program with a DOS bootable program
that has a free demo version you can try...
I have not used this software.
http://www.uneraser.com/undelete.htm

Should you try?  The file(s) could be 100% "OK".
For data files the chances of "getting back" something useful
from a damaged file are better than if you are trying to restore an
EXE file or something where every part of the file is critical...
              Good luck.

                   Rick Glazier

From: "Al Kohout" <[log in to unmask]>