Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:07:23 -0600
From: Harvey Segal <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 1999 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] PC slowing down

> I am in folder A which has several subfolders B,C,D etc
> I click on B and it takes some 30 seconds (!) to open and
> reveal the contents which are just three small .txt files (I
> do not open the .txt files - I am just listing them as the
> contents of the folder).
>
> Now when I  repeat this i.e click back to B and then up to A it
> now happens instantly implying maybe that the FIRST time I do
> this it takes a long time but subsequent repeats are OK.

It's likely that the reason for the lack of slowdown after the first try
is that the required directory files are read from your disk cache (fast
memory) rather than again being read from the disk on the second
attempt.  You can test this by going to a directory that you have seen
before and that is now being displayed quickly and press F5 to refresh
the display.  It should now take several seconds to display the
directory listing the first time and then be displayed quickly when
revisited again.  This is because the refresh forces a read of the
directory files from the disk again.  As for the initial slowdown, I
cannot think of a reason right
off.  Does this happen in directories other than "My Documents"?

                         The NOSPIN Group, Inc.
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org