Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:49:21 +0200
Hello Dave and Jason,

  I will comment on this reply a bit.

Monday, July 26, 1999, 7:48:33 PM, you wrote:

DG> On 26 Jul 99, at 2:56, Jason Wai Keen Fung wrote:

>> I am composing a homepage and was wondering if there is a way for me to
>> specify that the browser load a particular font from a font file on my
>> uploadsite.  I do not want the browser to load a system font.

DG>   If you look at the *standard* HTML tags, you will not see referneces to
DG> font family names and point sizes -- you'll see referneces to a hierarchy of
DG> header levels...

  This also means that many browsers, for example Lynx (UNIX text-mode
browser), lower versions of Netscape, IE, AOL, and many more won't
recognize _anything_ besides two basic font options : monospaced and
proportional. Lynx and other text-mode browsers has only monospaced font.

DG> ...it must look absolutely the same across a wide variety of
DG> systems...

Even more than that! HTML 4.0 calls for maximum SGML usage and
disapproves of using "graphic" tags in code for the reason that they
are trying to support some new emerging browsers, for example speech
browsers (those that read the page for you -- for those who want to
read CNN headlines on the road :) and Braille browsers (those that can
display text line-by-line in Braille symbols on special devices). Any
font, color, etc. does not make a difference there!

DG> HTML doesn't do that very well, unless you try to do something
DG> like restrict what browsers your
DG> users are allowed to use.  [Adobe's Acrobat, with its .PDF files, *was*
DG> designed to provide this kind of cross-platform consistency.]

If you still want to be in "total control" with fonts, placement etc,
consider either PDF or Flash. HTML will not give you any control -
unless you restrict yourself to ver. 5 browsers, effectively excluding
80+ % of Internet population from viewing your site in all its grace.
Flash and PDF are much more popular.

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]