Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:21:24 +1000
Carol wrote:

><<Will it work to download new copies of Avast and Zone
>Alarm now on this old system, burn the files to a CD, and then use that CD
>to load them onto the new system and install them on the new system before
>connecting to DSL?>>

Yes. An excellent idea. It's what I do whenever setting up a new computer
for anyone.

An even better idea is to burn all the installation (setup) files off your
old computer so that you can easily install them on the new computer.
Especially with programs that you know work well for you. Latest isn't
always best---it's often a lot worse. Most W98Se software is OK for XP, but
you may need to be a little selective.

Whatever you do, don't connect to the internet until you have your security
software in place.  With a little dexterity, you can even update the
databases (ZA doesn't need it) and replace the original  a-v database files
with the latest one off the old computer---at least, you can do that with
AVG, I assume Avast would be similar. Though with DSL there may not be much
point in this, provided you don't update until you have at least your
firewall running.

I've read that it takes an average of 5 minutes for an unprotected computer
to be contaminated by outside hacking on DSL.  I've seen it happen in less
than one minute---there wasn't even time to install ZA!.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml