Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:27:49 -0300
In my spare time I work for Comitê para Democratização da Informática in my
city of Fortaleza (http://www.cdiceara.org.br/).  Most of the machines we
recieve as donations are 486 and 386s.  Hardware is so expensive here and
the software is all pirated, so we see lots  of old machines running
terribly slow with the latest software.  Back to your problem, is your
processor a SX or DX?  The DX has a built in math coprocessor.  Windows 98
would have lots of problems without it if I recall.  The older motherboards
would have an extra socket for the added chip if it was the SX variety.  See
if there is a switch in the BIOS to turn the math coprocessor function on or
off to see if it makes a difference.  Another thing to check is wether some
of the external cache chips may have lost connection, press them all down
firmly.  I hope this helps some.

Howard Rubin
The Computer Doctor
Fortaleza, Brazil

RE:  Date:    Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:04:59 +1300
From:    Ian <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: 33mhz cpu? - high tech!

This probably won't come as a surprise to some of our more experienced =
listers, but I'll bet most of you haven't seen such a thing - I know I =
hadn't.

A customer brought me a non starting IMB computer.  She'd gone before I =
had a chance to check it out, otherwise I might have asked her to take =
it away again.

It's a 486 with a 33mhz CPU, 16mb ram and a 600Mb hard drive (that's =
right, 600Mb).  I got it going finally, but the thing that blew my socks =
off is that it's running W98SE Lite!

And as I type now, it's doing an AVG scan!  Clever old thing.

It's excruciatingly slow of course - I had to empty the C:\Windows\Temp =
folder of 2016 files totalling 1.4MB and it took 25 mins in DOS to do =
it.  Still, I'm amazed it works at all. =20

One query, just in case someone has seen it before;  it starts up now, =
which it wasn't doing before, but there's one glitch which I haven't =
managed to get rid of  - it throws up a type '162' error on boot-up, =
referring to 'Configuration change has occurred'.  This is in spite of =
me resetting the BIOS to it's defaults and then subsequently flashing =
the BIOS with the latest (1996) BIOS upgrade.

Any ideas would be welcome.

PS - I found some info about '162' errors on the IBM site - but most of =
them referrred to a major hardware change like a new HDD or CD being =
installed.  This old clunker doesn't even have a CD drive and as far as =
I'm aware, no other hardware has been installed recently.

TX

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown