Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 11:28:50 +1200
Joan, are you aware that you can save a webpage just as it is, ie, so that later on, when you click the html file, the page reopens whether or not you're connected to the net?

I've saved hundreds of tutorials by this method, it's very effective.

All that's needed is, when you're viewing the page, go File\Save-As and nominate where you want it saved.  It pays to create a separate folder for each page.  When you've finished, the folder will contain an image folder and an html file, with a name that ends in .htm.

And, of course, as a follow-on to that, you can now burn the containing folder to a CD.

There's only one thing to watch with the burning - some burning programs won't tolerate file names over a certain number of characters.  But some webpages have huge names that durn near fill the screen.

If this happens, just rename the image folder and the html file to something shorter.  All you need to do is make sure that both have the same name and retain the '-files' and '.htm' ending.

For instance, a typical webpage will save as a folder and an html file.  The folder will be named: 'Typical example of a huge long name that seems unneccessary_files'  And the html file will be named 'Typical example of a huge long name that seems unneccessary.htm'

(In case you're wondering, an html file has the three letter extension of '.htm')

These could be renamed 'muchshorter_files' and 'muchshorter'.htm.

If you just want to drag text off a web page, you can cut and paste it, as you would in any other document.

There are other fancy methods of slicing bits off web pages, but I think that saving the page as I've outlined above is the easiest way.

Note 1: If you've navigated to the page in say, Google, by right-clicking the CACHED option and selecting 'Open in a new window", you won't be able to save the page.  You must go there direct, or click on the actual link that you'll see in the phrase 'This is G o o g l e's cache of http://whatever.com.$$' at the top of the page.

Note 2: There's an increasing tendency amongst web page designers to prevent pages being copied, and in this case you'll either have to cut and paste text or use a screen grabber.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

  joan writes:

  <<I copy a document from the web to Microsoft Word.  When I want to copy
  the same document from Word to a CD I get the following message.

  Cannot Save 'E:\Creamy Swiss Onion Soup.doc'.  The folder is marked as
  'Read Only'.

  This happens with any document I attempt to file.>>

                       http://freepctech.com/rode