Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:11:57 -0700
> 1) A very basic HTML editor. I looked at Tucows for
> recommendations, and there are 3 categories --

> wysiwyg editors,

  One can argue about whether MS Word (Save As .thml) qualifies or
not.  For *true* WYSIWYG on the web, you really should go to
something like Adobe's Acrobat (.pdf files).

> html editors,

  HotDog is nice and simple, perhaps a bit dated.  HoTMetaL used to
be fairly popular, too.

> and html text editors.

  WordPad, Write, Notepad, or any of their third-party replacements.
An HTML file can be viewed/editted as text (this is what your browser
shows when you select "View Source"), and it used to be claimed that
Notepad was every webmaster's second-favorite editor for HTML....

> 2) A way to learn about what's going on when I create a web page
> -- i.e. background info, tutorials, etc., for a person with no
> background in this and with average intelligence.

  Again a bit dated -- perhaps unobtainable -- but Dawn Groves' "Web
Page Workbook" is/was excellent.  Wiley's "HTML Sourcebook" makes an
excellent reference, if not really intended as a tutorial.

Dave Gillett

On 22 Oct 2001, at 22:05, rdavidl wrote:

> I volunteered to regularly update a small website (mostly just
> text, with some background colors and graphics), but I have no
> background in programming or HTML. I'm not even sure what I need to
> get started on this project. At this point I'm asking for
> recommendations for 2 things (if I should be asking for other
> things please let me know):
>
> 1) A very basic HTML editor. I looked at Tucows for
> recommendations, and there are 3 categories -- wysiwyg editors,
> html editors, and html text editors. What would I need?
>
> 2) A way to learn about what's going on when I create a web page
> -- i.e. background info, tutorials, etc., for a person with no
> background in this and with average intelligence.
>
> Since this is volunteer work, I'm looking for freeware. I run
> Windows 2000 with IE 6. The owner of the website has an "allergy"
> to Microsoft products, so he prefers I don't use anything connected
> to them. But if there's nothing else that I could use, I will use
> Microsoft.
>
> TIA,
> David Landau

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: