Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Toomas Piibe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:24:34 +0200
From: "Jessi Arcand-Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>

> I forgot to mention that my husband and I network our computers so we also
have
> a Linskys Router. I am told that also adds some protection from hackers.

It is important. You are well protected from incoming traffic. That is what
security
scanners show. But check firmware number. PC Mag tester find bug in firmware
fixed quickly.  You don't need WinXp firewall if you sure that your husbands
computer
never gets infected with worm.

> Toomas
> suggested that I may have Windows firewall activated on my PC and to disable
it
> first before installing a personal FW. I'm a bit confused here; If I DO have
Win FW
> activated how do I find this out on my PC
Log in as administrator go
Control Panel -> Network Connections . Right click and select Properties or
select
Change settings of this connection in left pane. Go Advanced tab. There is
checkbox
to enable or disable firewall.

> and also if it IS activated, wouldn't that be
> enough protection - along with my router?

You don't need WinXP firewall when you use Linksys firewall router.

> If I need to disable the Win FW, could
> someone please give me some instruction on how to do so?

See above.

> I'm sorry for the confusion here, but it's hard to understand some of the
security
> features they now have on these newer machines.

WinXP firewall protects you from only attacks from outside. It not protects
your computer
from e-mail or web worms or trojans.  Router firewall can protect some of them
going
out but not all and no antivirus program can't detect new malware. It take
week when
worm what I submit to Symantec when NAV detected it. Here is good use some
software
personal firewall what alerts when some program attempts access to Internet or
when
legitimate program is changed.  Some of free ones is enough and it is only
recommended.

Toomas