Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 04:05:05 -0400
At 12:40 08/30/02, Aumm Ahmed wrote:
>I can achieve a Maximum of TWO concurrent downloads at a
>particular moment (under Win2K, IE 6.0, network connected
>system). How can I increase the number of concurrent downloads?
>Any help would be very much appreciated.

According to HTTP specifications, only a limited number of
simultaneous connections are allowed. Microsoft has
arbitrarily set a default limit of 2 for simultaneous
downloads. This is why you can only download two files
simultaneously using Internet Explorer.

There are several places in the registry where you can
increase this number of allowed simultaneous connections.
These are described near the bottom of the webpage
<http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_modems/cable_reg_win2k.shtml>
in the section "Windows 2000 Web Patch".

The registry entries "MaxConnectionsPerServer" and
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server" are not present in your registry
by default. (When they aren't present, the default value of
2 is set.)

There is a patch available for download from www.speedguide.net
that will automatically add these registry entries with
larger values for the maximum allowed connections.
<http://www.speedguide.net/files/sguide_webtweak_2k.zip>.
This Zip file contains the registry patch as well as an
uninstall patch and a readme file. (The readme tells you to
reboot after installing the patch and includes directions on
running the "undo" patch if you aren't happy with the results.)

This patch is for Win2k only. (There's a different one
available for Win98SE users.) Note that although the patch is
available from a Cable/xDSL website, there's no reason why
dial-up users can't use it. It should be noted however that
allowing more than two simultaneously downloads may affect
the speed with which some webpages display...for better or
for worse.

Regards,
Bill

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's: