Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:48:33 -0700
On 26 Jul 99, at 2:56, Jason Wai Keen Fung wrote:

> I am composing a homepage and was wondering if there is a way for me to
> specify that the browser load a particular font from a font file on my
> uploadsite.  I do not want the browser to load a system font.
>
> How do I do that?  Many thanks!

  You've already been sent an answer -- noted to work with IE only....

  It might be useful to understand exactly what design goal you want to
satisfy by doing this.  There is a fundamental paradigm distinction that you
are running into; you need to determine which side is right for you.

  If you look at the *standard* HTML tags, you will not see referneces to
font family names and point sizes -- you'll see referneces to a hierarchy of
header levels.  This is because SGML -- upon which HTML is based -- describes
the functional *structure* of a document, and not its *presentation*.  From
its inception, it was felt that titles for multiple documents should all be
displayed the same on a given machine for clarity, but that this need not be
the same as the title display on some other machine.
  On the other hand, there are an awful lot of people (including, but not
limited to, trained graphics designers) who want, or believe they need,
absolute control over the presentation of their material; it must look
absolutely the same across a wide variety of systems.  HTML doesn't do that
very well, unless you try to do something like restrict what browsers your
users are allowed to use.  [Adobe's Acrobat, with its .PDF files, *was*
designed to provide this kind of cross-platform consistency.]

  It's possible that a browser-specific solution is acceptible to you -- or
perhaps just a "best viewed with..." label.  But if this is going to be a
major or recurring issue for you, consider that perhaps HTML is not quite the
right tool for what you want to do.

David G

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html