Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 00:02:15 -0400
At 02:00 4/22/99 +0300, Alex Polenov wrote:
>...I found...750mb disk space [free] from my 3.2Gb hdd.
>
>I've get next table by running fdisk:
>
>     1 a PRI DOS SYSTEM          500mb  FAT16    16%
>     2   EXT DOS                2177mb  FAT16    71%
>          free unpartioned space of up to 400 mb
>          and logical disks:
>
>     D:            SOFT          803mb  FAT16    37%
>     E:           GAMES         1020mb  FAT16    47%
>
>I may create another disk with 354mb. But when I create it I've got new
>disk D:354mb, E:803mb and F:1020mb    I can't have such disk because
>all my programms for Win98 are in the disk D. So if the label of disk D
>will change all my programs will not run. May I create new disk like disk
>F? And may i add it to disk C.
>
>And where is another 400mb of my space? I see only 2.7gb from my 3.2gb?
>
>I have Linux before run along with Win95. But I delete it after I install
>Win98. But I can remove linux partitons by fdisk.

Hi Alex

Your drive probably looks like this:

      C:                       D:                 E:
[   500 MB ][(345 MB free)(   803 MB     )(    1020 MB    )]<-400 MB--->
<-primary--><----------------------extended----------------><---free--->

As you can see, the 345 MB comes before the present D: and E: drives,
so creating a logical drive there makes it D: and bumps E: and F: up to
F: and G:.

The 400 MB free space is outside the extended partition so it cannot
become a logical drive. Since the DOS FDISK cannot create more than one
primary partition per drive, this 400 MB cannot become a primary partition.
Since it cannot be either a primary or a logical drive, it cannot be
used. (You could use Partition Magic to make it a second primary though,
and it would likely get drive letter F: like you want.)

You will need to either start over or get Partition Magic. Partition Magic
would let you move D: and E: to the left so that the free space inside the
Extended partition is at the end of the extended partition instead of at
the beginning. You could then create a new logical drive located after D:
and E: which would then get a drive letter after D: and E:. You could also
resize the extended partition to fill up all space not used by the Primary
partition and thus make your F: drive bigger.

You want:

      C:            D:               E:
[   500 MB ][(   803 MB     )(    1020 MB    )(345 MB free)]<-400 MB--->
<-primary--><----------------------extended----------------><---free--->

We have moved D: and E: to the left. Then:

      C:           D:                E:
[   500 MB ][(   803 MB     )(    1020 MB    )(745 MB free            )]
<-primary--><----------------------extended---------------------------->

The extended partition was expanded to the end of the drive.
Now you can create F: in the free space:

      C:           D:                E:                  F:
[   500 MB ][(   803 MB     )(    1020 MB    )(        745 MB         )]
<-primary--><----------------------extended---------------------------->

Partition Magic shows you graphical pictures of all your drives so that
you can easily see what is happening. (It's pictures are better than mine.)
You can see why people love this program. Not only can you make all changes
without destroying your data, but the pictures make easy. Version 4.01 is
the latest version now.

Is it possible that instead of 400 MB free, there is still a Linux partition?
And by the way, note that the real number might not be exactly 400 MB because
of the difference between counting Megabytes in decimal instead of in binary.
(That is, your hard disk may not really be 3.2 MB in binary MegaBytes.) Also
note that the free 400 MB (or whatever number that it is) can be between C:
and D: above, instead of at the end of the drive. This gives the same results.

Can you use Linux's partitioning software to move and resize the partitions
...without loss of data...like Partition Magic? I have never done that but
I seem to recall hearing that it is possible.

Regards,
Bill

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com