Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bruce Boschek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:37:16 +0100
Hello,

One computer out of the 43 that I watch over in the laboratory here
displays a particularly irritating behavior; closing Winword 97 files
takes up to a minute and sometimes even longer. The length of time seems
independent of the file size or number of changes made. Even an empty file
takes this long to save, but only if it was previously saved. When you
click on File -> Close the machine just sits there with no disk activity,
then after 30-90 sec. the file closes. During this time the machine is
completely blocked and neither mouse click nor keyboard have any effect.
This happens even if you have made no changes to the file. Killing the
Winword program with the file open, however, is immediate.

This machine is a Pentium 133 (P54) with 32 MB EDO RAM, 1.9 GB fast SCSI
II HD on an Adaptec 2940 on-board controller (IWill P55 TV-S) with 300+ MB
free on both of two partitions. OS is Win95A with service pack #1.
Performance of the machine is otherwise typical to fast for this
configuration.

I have freshly defragmented both partitions and that had no effect.
Scandisk shows no problems. I have tried removing all networking clients
and requesters, but this also has no effect on the problem. I have also
removed anti-virus software and other background programs.

On a sister machine (actually handicapped with only 16 MB RAM and a 90MHz
Pentium) with the same OS and software file closing is immediate as one
would expect.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this problem and a
cure. If I reinstall Office97 or just Winword, will it help? Is there any
way to save the user's individual settings in Office97 upon reinstall? Is
there some esoteric setting in Winword that might cause this?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone might have on this.

Respectfully,

Bruce

Bruce Boschek - Giessen, Germany

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: