Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
William Closure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:19:44 EST
OK, I've been lurking for a while, and now I have a question. Understand that
I know just enough about computers to be dangerous.  And, that most of the
time I just figure problems are Uncle Bill’s curse on the Windows world, like
the plague, and are just an accepted part of life (and death).  Actually, I
have a series of problems to be solved, but figure that I'll present them one
at a time, both to limit the length of this post, and realizing that solving
one problem may solve another.

FWIW, one of the reasons I am trying to clean things up is that I bought a
bunch of stuff from CompUSA, and they are offering free installation.  So I
thought I'd try to get rid of any bugaboos before I take the computer in so
any bugaboos when I get it back can be blamed on CompUSA, and I can expect
them to fix them.  A subsequent post will ask for any suggestions you might
have on what I should tell CompUSA when I have them install it all.

I AM ASKING FOR HELP RESOLVING THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM:  Most of the time when
I turn my computer on, it stops loading, referring to a crash (part of the
text, listed below).

Other possibly related facts are these:
-  I have an HP 8380 computer, approximately 2 years old, running on Windows
98
-  The computer came with, and is apparently running, McAfee VirusScan, which
had a support period of the product life.  Unfortunately, the product life
apparently did not refer to the computer, but the software.  McAfee no longer
supports it.  I have already purchased McAfee Office, which has a (hopefully
updated) VirusScan, so I really don't need the old VirusScan on the computer.
-  My computer sometimes crashes/freezes up, (you can stop chuckling now)
especially when I'm online, although this has improved considerably since I
started closing programs that are running in the background.  (Will be more
than doubling memory, shortly, so that may help the situation.)  No apparent
pattern.
-  Because the McAfee program was outdated, I downloaded Inoculate T.  Have
not downloaded updates recently, and am getting an out-of-date warning when I
turn computer on.
-  I rarely download any programs, except from known sources (Microsoft,
Shockwave, etc.), and don't open attachments, even from friends, unless there
is personally identifiable info in message.
-  My computer will often not shut down without, literally, pulling the plug.
 Recently, I occasionally get a message that (Indexing) program is not
responding.  Ofttimes, it will freeze up at the “Windows is Shutting Down”
screen, although I am occasionally surprised when the computer shuts down
properly.  (Sad state of affairs when you are surprised when things function
properly.)
-  When I use VirusScan to scan C drive, nothing shows up.

So, what follows is the problem I need help with.  When I turn on the
computer I get the following:

C:\>C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFFEE~1\SCANPM.EXE C:\
DOS4G PROTECTED MODE Run-time Version 2.01
Copyright (c) Tenberry Software, Inc. 1996
ScanPM v3.1.5 Copyright (c) McAfee, Inc. 1994-1998

(then more stuff, then:)

72531
TSF32:prev_tst3281CO

(then more stuff, then:)

Crash address (unrelocated)=1:00012531
Press any key to continue . . . .

If I just press the return key, it continues on it's merry way, sometimes
going through the “scanning C drive” routine because it wouldn't turn itself
off properly after its prior usage.

So, apologizing for the length of all this, does anybody know whether I
really have a problem, what that problem is, and how to solve it?

TIA

William Closure

                       http://freepctech.com/rode