Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
L Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 13:55:27 -0500
Thanks to Rick Glazier - and Don Penlington

Rick, you may be right if horsepower of the machine has anything to do with
poor recording quality to the hard disk. While I held off doing anything
else while the recording from the CD to the HDD was being made, I do have
only a P166. I do have 256Mb of RAM.

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding, I am NOT trying to record to
a blank CD. Heck, I don't even own either a CD/R or RW.

And Don, that is probably the word I was looking for to explain the
misshapen sound - "sibilance".

It's interesting when Rick says that playing the original CD Disc on the
computer may only be using the sound card for amplification. What is not
said in this statement is that perhaps the sound card is much more involved
in the translation and recording of all the audio nuances from the music CD
when recording to the HDD. By extension, the sound card would be fully
responsible for the translation of the ones and zeros when the music was
subsequently played with the source track now being the HDD. Does that sound
like what might be happening?

If that's the case, then it would appear that the old SoundBlaster 16 Pro
should be put out on pension as not able to reproduce the entire sound range
of any particular music CD. Since more modern sound cards are not terribly
expensive, it would probably be worthwhile to spend a few bucks and replace
my old one. I'm otherwise happy with this old PC but would kind of like to
be able to mix some music by various artists so I can then play pre-selected
playlists - without having to have a dozen or so original CDs hanging
around.

Sure would welcome any other ideas and/or suggestions.

Larry Stewart