Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:03:05 -0800
On 19 Apr 98 at 21:18, Joe Trimarchi wrote:

> Win98 Beta 3 1650. Zoom External K56 Flex Modem model 2949A.
>
> System Monitor shows Dial-Up-Adapter: CRC Errors and Overrun Errors.
> Are these anything to be concerned about? If so how does one go about
> correcting them?

  On a serial port, overrun errors generally mean that characters
have arrived faster than the CPU could collect them, and so one or
more have been lost.  This, in turn leads to CRC errors -- a block of
data received is different from what the other end sent.
  If you don't have a 16550A or better UART on that port, GET ONE.
Make sure (Modem Properties|Connection|Port Settings) that the FIFO
buffers are enabled.  You may, just possibly, have to reduce the size
of the receive buffer.[*]
  Also make sure (Modem Properties|Connection|Advanced) that you are
using flow control; hardware is preferrable to software in this area.

[*] What you are actually setting is the point at which the PC will
tell the other end "whoa, I need to catch up".  The characters above
the buffer setting are the allowance for the other end to receive and
act on this, and the default setting of 14 (2 left) may not be enough
-- especially since you may be receiving data at almost twice the
speed you're sending it. This is particularly true if using software
flow control.

David G