Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Kelly Younger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 06:42:45 -0600
Roxanne Pierce wrote:

> There are several reasons to have a Win95 3.5" floppy boot (startup) disk.

Greetings,
I have heard about the necessity to have a boot disk with CD-ROM drivers
on it, but I never had it explained to me in a way I could understand
and that would work on my machine. For example "Load your DOS CD-ROM
drivers on the floppy". Uh... OK, HOW? Well, I FINALLY figured it out.
The reason I wanted to make this floppy is to see if I could (sort of
like climbing mountains).
> What a Win95 3.5" boot disk is NOT designed for is to get you back into your
> real, full, graphical, Windows 95. It can't possibly, not by itself.
That was my problem! I thought that since the first line displayed when
booting from the floppy was "Starting Windows 95", there must be a
command to exit to the GUI assuming there were no problems with drives,
registry etc. I was wrong!
> So, the bottom line is that 3.5" Win95 boot disks are not supposed to be able
> to put you into your graphical normal Win95 setup. (Unless you design it to
> allow you to access a Zip disk or LS-120 disk or CD-ROM with all those files I
> mentioned before.) Booting from the floppy and typing "win" isn't supposed to
> work that way. These disks are supposed to boot and put you at an A prompt.
>  And if you make a floppy boot disk with all the alterations I've seen
> suggested that *will* allow you to boot into the normal Win95 environment, the
> purpose of the diskette as an emergency "fix-it" boot disk is totally defeated.
Thank you! Now I know. However, stay tuned because soon I will have
another question about this subject, but I'm late for work so I'll ask
it later.

Cheers,
Kelly