Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 15:10:32 -0600
At 09:12 AM 8/7/99 , David Landau wrote:
>A few day ago someone on the list mentioned the importance of including a CD ROM driver
>on one's emergency startup diskette. The ZIP file I downloaded from NOSPIN for that
>purpose included a readme.txt file with instructions as follows:
>
>"From The NOSPIN Group: Universal CD Rom driver
>
>installation: copy the driver inclosed to your boot floppy
>disk.   Add the following lines to your Config.sys &
>Autoexec.bat on the floppy:
>
>Config.sys:
>
>device=d011v200.sys /d:001
>
>Autoexec.bat:
>
>mscdex.exe /d:001
>
>(*Note: be sure the mscdex.exe & d011v200.sys files are loaded on your
>floppy disk)"
>
>I don't know how to add lines to the Config.sys & Autoexec.bat files. I would appreciate
>it if someone could explain to me how to do that.

You use any text editor, in Windows you can use NOTEPAD that is found in
Start / Programs / Accessories.   Once you have created a boot disk, look
to see if it has the file CONFIG.SYS and  if it does, open it with NOTEPAD.
Then just add this line:
device=d011v200.sys /d:001
Do the same with the Autoexec.bat file and add this line:
mscdex.exe /d:001

If either the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file does not exist on your boot
disk, then just open NOTEPAD and enter the appropriate line from above
and save the file as either Config.sys or Autoexec.bat as needed.

These two files are not mysterious, they are both simple text files that
MS Dos uses to load legacy devices and drivers.  During the boot phase of
MS Dos, Windows95/98...  these two files are read by the operating system
before anything else...  then Win95/98 begins to load.  They are not required
to start your operating system...  but, MS Dos needed them to load drivers
and operating system devices.  They are still around in WIn95/98 so that
legacy devices can still be loaded...  and they are used by your boot floppy
disk for the same purpose, in this case to load Dos CD rom drivers to enable
your CD rom drive.

Now...  if you cannot use Windows and you are at a DOS prompt, then
use the DOS editor   EDIT.COM  for your text editor.  It works much
the same as NOTEPAD, but does not need windows to run.  This program
is found in this directory:   c:\windows\command\edit.com
If your boot disk does not contain EDIT.COM, I always add it anyway.
It is handy to edit your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files on the fly, should
the need arise.

                 Bob Wright
        The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

         PCSOFT only works if you contribute. Send your messages
              to be posted to: [log in to unmask]