Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:04:19 -0800
On 1 Feb 99, at 16:43, Morris, Marilyn wrote:

>   I don't know if this answers your question, but depending on the
> version of AIX you are running, you could run a gateway to the UNIX
> CDE environment from a Windows PC.  For example, we have a few AIX
> servers (version 4.1.4 and above).  Most of us are on NT 4.0
> workstations, but some are on Win95 PC's.  Using Hummingbird's Exceed
> (there are several products that will do this I think) we can get a
> CDE (common desktop environment) logon screen so we can logon to the
> UNIX host and do our UNIX work, while still running Office 97 apps on
> our PCs.

  Hummingbird's Exceed is one of several X-servers for PCs.  But
consider:

1.  X-servers are moderately demanding.  A 386 and 8MB of RAM is about
minimal, and I'm not sure what proportion of PCs at his site meet that
requirement.

2.  X-servers normally talk TCP/IP; he's told us that the PCs are
talking IPX to the NetWare server, which I'm guessing is providing a
gateway to the AIX server.  Modern Windows PCs using NDIS can talk IPX
and TCP/IP over the same NIC, but again his equipment is likely to pre-
date such a feature -- and converting the whole LAN to TCP/IP may,
possibly, leave the Netware server out in the cold.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html