Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Joseph H Earl II <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 20:09:59 -0500
I had this problem when upgrading a computer to a PENTIUM II 400Mhz, and it
was the scanner driver that caused the problem.  If you have a UMAX scanner,
and your processor PII over 300Mhz, then go to their site and download the
updated driver.  (the file is really not corrupt, but one of the other
drivers it loads has the problem.)
SYMPTOMS
When you start Windows, you may receive the following error message:
   VMM32.VXD: Missing/Unable to Load. Press any key to continue.
Pressing any key causes the Shutdown screen to appear.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur on Pentium II 300Mhz or above computers if the
Umaxis11.386 driver is being loaded in the System.ini file. This file is
used by a UMAX scanner.
RESOLUTION
Go to UMAX site and download driver update and read Technote 7076;
http://www.umax.com/graphsite/umaxen/frame.cfm?section=Hot&page=support/down
load/scanners.cfm
OR to work around this until you get the updated driver;
Use F8 function key when booting, and select DOS prompt selection
cd to windows directory
edit the system.ini, and search for "umaxis11.386" (without quotation marks)
at the line device=umaxis11.386 place a semicolon (;) at the beginning of
the line.
Then reboot, and get on line and download the updated driver

Hope this helps.

Joe

> Does anyone know what would cause the following problem to happen
> about once
> every three weeks.
> The file vmm32.vxd becomes corrupt and results in the error message "this
> program cannot be run in DOS mode press any key to continue" the
> system then
> shuts down.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html