Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:55:24 -0800
On 17 Sep 99, at 10:10, Chuck Hassenplug wrote:

> As my first day of college fast approaches, I am getting my
> computer ready for using the Ethernet network (fast!) in the dorms
> for the internet. Right now I am using dialup networking and a
> modem to access the internet on my Win98 machine.

> Obviously no dialup will be needed, and I heard that one must
> disable dialup networking in order for the Ethernet access to
> work.

  This is not true.  Network traffic will prefer the dial-up
connection over Ethernet ONLY when you have dialed into somewhere.
You do not need to disable or remove dialup networking.

> Question: what do I have to do to set up the machine to access the
> internet through the network and not through a modem? Thank you,

  The one thing you may need to check into is that your ISP's DNS
server is specified on the dial-up connectoid, as opposed to the
Network applet in the Control Panel.  The college's server should *at
least* be listed first; you may need to connect to machines on the
college's network that are not visible to the outside world.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html