Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 18:58:50 -0400
Cookies are not Spyware. Most cookies are quite benign, and actually
help by storing info from previous visits. You can turn cookies off, but
you'd lose a lot of functionality.
You can read more here:
http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/
Spyware is a different matter. These programs often get a user's consent
by disguising themselves as a helpful service or program. File sharing
programs used to be infamous for this. Nowadays you're more likely to
get spyware by assenting to an online popup that tells you you have
spyware and offers to scan your computer, or some other offer such as
free games. There are lots of Anti spyware programs available, and you
can learn about then here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware
I've been recommending Windows One Care to my friends. It's a
comprehensive AV, Anti Spyware, Tune up and backup program offered by MS.
http://www.windowsonecare.com/
Sign up now to get the reduced price.

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> How and why are sites able to put tracking  cookies on your computer when you
> visit their site?  (that's an invasion of  my privacy)   Why do they have
> this RIGHT? Why does the government, or  whoever, allow this practice?  Some of
> the spyware you cannot get  off which leaves those sites collecting all
> pertient  information as to where you go, as well as very private stuff.   It's like
> a shadow following you around that you want to get rid of but  can't.  Can't
> something be done about this practice?  They are  invading your computer
> system, getting your name, address, and even phone number  and social security
> number!
>
> Hazel Harrington
>
>              PCSOFT maintains many useful files for download

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml