Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:06:41 -0800
On 6 Dec 2006 at 8:02, Dean Kukral told us that Laurel wrote:

> Q:
> So, is my ISP using Internet Explorer when I brose the www or what?
>
> Q:
> My problem is this: if I am not on line with my ISP, Juno, I cannot get
> updates of programs, not can I send emails (I guess through OE?) How do I
> change settings to accomplish this?Why do I need Juno if I can use OE and
> Internet Explorer. I already have a modem on my computer. Thanks for your
> help.

  In order to connect to the Internet, you need some communications hardware
(a modem is a popular inexpensive choice) and a service provider to connect
your computer to using that hardware.  And then you need software that knows
how to use an Internet connection to do the actual task:  send and receive
email, browse the web, or whatever.  (As you've discovered, programs on your
PC cannot exchange information with other computers on the Internet when
your connection is not online.)

  With most providers, you may use any browser or email program you wish.
Juno is probably one of several exceptions, providers who offer low rates
because they get additional revenue from advertisers.  If they let you use
any program you wanted, that might allow you to not see their ads;
advertisers would stop paying them, and they would go out of business.
  So they *may* have provided you with their own special software for these
tasks, and may have special configurations at their end which ensure that
only those special versions will function when you are connected through
their service.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml