Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 01:28:05 -0500
Peter's post (clipped)

<<<Others on this list may have additional suggestions, but I would recommend
that you get your Win XP disk out and boot from it. Then go through the
installation process, selecting that you want to repair your system. DO NOT
install a new copy of XP as that would destroy your settings. That should be
done only as a last resort, or if you don't care about losing your software
settings. Note: if you lose your settings, you will need to reinstall all of
your application software!>>>>

the following is based on my experience only and so...

when you boot from xp cd and after the drivers are loaded you are presented with 3 options:

(A)setup xp  (B) repair an existing windows installation using recovery console  (C)exit without doing any thing.

when you choose  (A), the drive configuration is checked, and you are again presented with 3 options:

install a fresh copy of xp,  AGAIN AN OPTION TO REPAIR, AND OPTION TO EXIT.

IT IS AT THIS STAGE THAT CHOICE OF INSTALLATION OF A FRESH COPY WILL DESTROY ALL YOUR DATA.

at this stage if you choose "repair an existing……” your system is checked for previously installed copy of xp/ some files are deleted/ and the installation process continues for the full course (including your having to input the cd key) and takes the full 39 minutes (excluding previous time)

at the end of this i have found it to boot with all the previous system settings and also all applications/ programs as they were before.

the only trouble i had  on the 2/3 such occassions was that my AVG antivirus files got corrupted needing re-install

on the other hand if you choose option (B) at the beginning you are presented with " repair(1) C:\WINDOWS and if you input "1" and enter, you are asked for administrator password, and after input, you are presented with a command prompt C:\WINDOWS and now you will have to input what you wish to do.

for ex; chkdisk, fix mbr, delete, copy.... the entire list of  commands are available if you type help at the C:\WINDOWS (PROMPT.)

 in addition to the links given in Peter's post of Friday, November 24, 2006 10:16 AM and fervently hoping that i am not confusing matters further given below are 3 other microsoft URLS

support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

http://tinyurl.com/4uog8

http://tinyurl.com/564tm

finally there are two types of recovery/repair. ASR (AUTOMATED SYSTEM RECOVERY... only one floppy needed) and another consisting of a set of 6 floppies. all these are to help systems without a cdrom drive but only a floppy drive. for systems with cdrom drive the win xp cd is itself enough for doing a repair installation/ full new installtion.

there is also BARTS PE BOOTABLE CDROM WHICH I HAVE FOUND TO NEED MUCH MORE EXPERTISE.

REALLY HTH----Venkat

                 our special coffee cups and mouse pads
              with the PCSOFT logo...  at a great price!!!