Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:07:04 -0700
On 3 Aug 99, at 0:58, Darren K. Page wrote:

> - connect my Linux machine to a proxy server running on a win98 machine,
> so that I can have an Internet connection for the Linux machine.
>
> For the internet connection, I have gone through netcfg, linuxconf, and
> the KDE control center, and all seems well (i.e. DNS server entries, proxy
> server entries, as well as the proxy settings for Netscape). What am I
> missing? The error that Netscape gives me is: "Netscape is unable to
> connect to your proxy server".

  What proxy software are you running?  Microsoft Proxy Server?  Wingate?
Something else?  [We might need to see the actual settings to spot the
problem.]

> To get the Linux machine to work with my proxy , do I have to get DOS
> connectivity working? If so, I assume that this will also cure my problem
> of not seeing the other machines?

  I think you're thinking of Samba on Linux (and Unix).  As a matter of
security, you do not want those protocols propagated out to the Internet, and
so your proxy should not be supporting them -- although this could well have
something to do with whether you can "see" other machines.
  Can you "ping" other machines on the local network?  If not, that may mean
that your address/mask settings aren't compatible with the rest of your
network.  [Since the proxy is "another machine on your network", not being
able to ping any of them would also mean Netscappe could not connect to the
proxy....]

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html