Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 16:28:45 +1000
Preston wrote:
>using an all in one
>approach versus separate components?>>

Antivirus:
For the last 2 years I've been perfectly happy with Avira antivirus (AVG
was popular until they brought out their version 8 which not only has a
large memory consumption but can cause problems in certain cases. I've just
fixed a computer where AVG got itself into an awful tangle trying to deal
with one infected file, and filled a complete 80Gb hard drive with log
files until the whole system crashed and couldn't recover. Clearly it had
got into an infinite loop).

Avira recently ranked No 1 a-v, ahead of Nortons, McAfee etc, in a recent
review in one of our leading Australian PC magazines. It's only downside is
a nagscreen whenever it updates, begging you to buy its paid version and
warning you of all the mnasty things that might happen if you don't. Don't
be fooled by all that---the free version is perfectly adequate for a single
stand-alone home computer. Its database seems to cover trojans and much
spyware as well as viruses. It's very user-friendly.

Firewall:
The built-in XP firewall is perfectly adequate when used in conjunction
with the proper 3rd party security.  No matter that it doesn't prevent
outgoing traffic---you'll see this, if it happens, via your internet icon.
Zone Alarm used to drive me nuts at times with its permissions. XP just
seems to "know" what to do silently.

Antimalware:
I use the paid version of Superantispyware which seems to have very good
recommendations--use it in its active form. The freeware version is a
passive scanner only. It does use a bit more RAM than I would like, though.
but it's extremely user-friendly.
Malwarebytes (free version) as a passive scanner.

These simple protections have kept my system pretty free from everything
except the occasional tracking cookie for the past 2 years---and I do
browse to some pretty dubious sites and download some dubious software
occasionally. (torrents and the like).

However, no security system is ever going to be perfect. The best security
is to image your hard drive, and restore that image if things ever get out
of hand. There are many free imaging programs (Karen's Replicator is
supposed to be good, as is Macrium Reflect, though I've never used them. I
use Acronis True Image, which costs.

Don Penlington

                       http://freepctech.com/rode