Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Christopher Zguris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:42:22 -0400
At 05:25 PM 8/21/99 -0700, you wrote:

>>P.S. I'm looking for free Perl interpretator to download. Can you help?
>>
>>Alex

ActivePerl from ActiveState (http://www.activestate.com/) is a PERL
interpreter for Windows 95. The instructions on how to use it are - IMHO -
crap. After it's installed (which worked for me on a Win98 machine w/no
problems), you open an MS-DOS window, then change to c:\perl\bin, to run a
program, you type perl program.pl (where program.pl is your program name).
To make a program, I use notepad, then save the program to c:\perl\bin.
They do offer - for a fee - a debugged, but I tried it and found it rather
limited, so don't use it.

Couple notes:

- Although it's running in a DOS window, it can access Windows-type
functions. For example, socket can be used to connect to web sites over the
internet.

- This may be obvious, but if you write a perl script that doesn't work on
your web site, running it on your own machine w/ActivePERL will show the
relevant errors. Even if the script is calling for files, directories etc.
that exist on your web site and _not_ on your own machine, ActivePERL will
still run the script and show errors.

- I've found the online information on Perl unhelpful, esp in a Windows
environment. The books Perl from the Ground Up and PERL COOKBOOK (from
O'Reilly) to be very useful. I started w/Perl from the Ground Up, and it's
a good beginner guide but simply ignores a lot of stuff. PERL COOKBOOK was
the better overall book, if you're going to get one book, PERL COOKBOOK is
the one to get.

- If you're going to install a Perl script on your website, make sure you
check your providers' FAQs first. There are configuration issues that are
specific to each site, if you don't include the relevant code in a script
you're going to have problems.

Christopher Zguris

[log in to unmask] / http://www.christopherzguris.com

                         The NOSPIN Group, Inc.