Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:13:58 -0800
On 16 Apr 99, at 0:03, Travis W wrote:

>   can anyone recommend a good Y2K checker freeware, shareware,anywhere i
> have been looking around and theres enough out there but sure could use
> some guidence TIA
>   OS win 95a

  There are several different approaches that can be taken to trying to write
a "Y2K checker".  None are completely reliable; nothing likely to be
reasonably useful is also likely to be cheap.
  On the other hand, a "free Y2K checker" sounds like great cover for a
"trojan", an attractive program that installs a virus or other malicious code
on your machine.  [The "value" of a trojan decreases once its character is
known, so it makes sense that the program be not only attractive but somehow
"urgent".  Anything you download, especially from an unknown source, *could*
be malicious.  I have nothing against freeware and shareware, and use them
myself, but in this case I believe the odds of malice are higher than
average.]

  I have no specific knowledge that any freeware/shareware Y2K checker out
there represents anything less than an honorable attempt to really do the job
as advertised.  But my personal belief is that the likelihood of real benefit
is not justified by the risk.
  If you really can't sleep at night until you know your system is safe for
Y2K, I suggest getting a copy of Symantec's Norton 2000.  Symantec has the
resources to do a useful job (I still don't think it's 100% reliable), and
they're around for the long haul.  [Note that this is a recommendation only
for emotional reassurance, and not an endorsement of their technology.  I'm
not in a position to vouch for the product's function, only for its effect.]

David G

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>