Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Doc Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:36:10 -0400
If all you want is to get a "rough" picture on the web, I have done it for
about $80 with a 120 Pentium IBM 760 ThinkPad laptop and 28.8 phone
connection.

I have a Connectix Quickcam (old model) that I bought a couple of years ago
for $80 which works fine.  From what I've seen the camera is the least
critical part in determining the quality of the video seen by others.

Admittedly my video is somewhat jerky but for a total investment of $80
US.....??  And my relatives can see the kids and we can chat with video.

What I did was install the camera and make sure it worked.  Higher speed
machine, more memory (I have 48 Meg), higher upload connection, fewer
applications running, lower resolution and smaller video screen size all
make the frame rate go up.  I played with the size and resolution until I
have a fair frame rate.  The internet congestion also is a factor for the
receiver.  I have connected this setup with a T1 line on both the sending
and receiving ends and have had as bad a frame rate as I did with the 28.8
modem on both ends when the net was congested. Also remember that 56.6
modems only *download* at 56.6 not upload so a 56.6 modem doesn't help
uploading the video over a 33.6 modem.

Then to get online, I downloaded the *free* Webcam software from
www.camarades.com . You need to have the camera installed and be connected
to the internet when installing the software.  When you install it, a
homepage is created at camarades.com and the Webcam program launches and
your video is online!  Then you can use their home page editor, change your
settings, security, etc. and use the homepage for free.  There are
limitations that you can read about at the site.  I am sure there are other
free webcam hosting sites, but this is the easiest to install and set up.
Camarades is good enough to get started with and to play with until you
want to get a more sophisticated system. A good learning experience.

HTH

At 7/23/99 05:27 AM , Norm Thompson wrote:
>Can anyone tell me what is the most cost efficient way to get started
>with a Webcam.I have a Compaq Presario MV500 and I don't trust the
>salespeople in the shops after being bitten with something else I
>purchased and didn't work on my computer.
>Thanks in anticipation

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html