Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 02:03:30 -0500
Ian,

I can't speak for others, but I don't recall seeing your first posting.
However, both subjects you mentioned has been discussed several times in
depth here. In response to your first question about having a "heap" of RAM,
I suggest you check Microsoft's Data Base article "Out of Memory" Error
Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed (Q253912) here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q253912 and this
article on "Memory Management in Win98 & ME" here:
http://www.aumha.org/a/memmgmt.htm for more information. In short, Win 98 SE
will handle 512 MB of RAM (PC2100 or PC 100/133) with no problem providing
your system will accept it, which apparently it does. The noticable
difference between 256 MB and 512 MB on performance would depend on the
memory "hungry" programs you may be using at the time and other factors like
system configuration and how you're using it.

As to your comment about the need/necessity of a firewall, I offer the
following reply to a similar question by Bill M. Smith on 15 Mar 2001 which
I concur with completely and suggest you follow:

Date:    Thu, 15 Mar 2001 01:47:23 -0600
From:    "Bill M. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Why Firewalls??

-----Original Message-----

Heres the question:

I have printer and file sharing disabled. I am a stand alone PC. There
are no other network protocols binding tcpip. I don't run server or ftp
software. I ask why do I need a firewall.

I've asked network professionals, "Heres my IP address, What can you do
to me?

I am still asking.
Bill Kapelas
--------------------------------------

Hi Bill,
Well first go to http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2000/feb-14-00.htm   and
read the 4 myths of online security by Fred Langa, then go to Steve Gibson's
security test at https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 then come back here and
let us know how secure your pc is from attack by hackers.

Bill M. Smith
Urbana, IL

"End of quote".

Sven Swanson, Sr.