Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
"Lance W. Kephart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 06:59:03 -0700
Hi All,

I missed the original post on this one, so I'm
not sure if any info was given on the computer's
configuration. I've included whay Susan responded
to down below to help with what I'm talking about.

When you install the RAM, it should automatically
be seen by the PC.  Your operating system has
nothing to do with that.  Kudo's to Susan on her
response about tech. support.  They aren't always
with it.

1.)Did the RAM align properly with the slot?
If you look at your RAM chip (I'm assuming these
chips are 72 pin) you'll see a notch on the
bottom and a slight curve on one end. If you try
to put the chip in one way, it offsets the chip
and it won't snap in right. If you install the
chip the other way, it will snap down in and
line up.

You should insert the chips in at an angle, then
while pushing down on them (not a lot of pressure
needed) to keep them in place, lift up to snap
them in.

2.) Do you have the right kind of RAM?
Again, I don't know what the computer specs are,
but different computers use different RAM. Most
Pentiums (that I work with) need to have the RAM
installed in pairs (2 at a time). Most 486 PCs
can handle 1 RAM chip at a time.  There are also
different styles of chips (EDO, DRAM).

3.) Are the memory chips good?
Try them in another machine, if one is available
and see if they are recognized in it.

Best of luck!
Lance Kephart
Kephart's Korner
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/vista/7192

  --------------
>About the unrecognized RAM. When I install
>RAM successfully, it shows up right away. If
>I don't, it doesn't. Does anyone else think
>maybe the tech service person is steering
>this fellow wrong, or is there some other
>variable here, that I don't know about? I never
>had to reload (do you mean reinstall?)
>Windows for new RAM to be recognized, has
>anyone else? I hate to tar everyone with
>the same brush, but I feel much safer
>ignoring tech support people in general,
>especially Level 1 telephone variety. I'll
>take my lumps for that, if anyone wants to
>correct me on that one too.
>
>The easiest ways I use to check whether RAM
>is recognized, are:
>1.  the counter you see on booting, and
>2.  going into My Computer/Help/About, and
>checking "physical memory available to
>Windows." I say, if it isn't in those two
>places, your machine isn't recognizing that RAM, >therefore something is wrong.
Anyone care to
>correct me on this?
>
>Susan Sutherland

Get your FREE, private e-mail