Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 03:15:06 -0800
On 2 Nov 2001, at 16:39, David Sivertsen wrote:

> I am the network manager for a small school district.  I run an NT
> domain with several servers.  One PDC, several BDC and file
> servers for students to store their files on etc.
>
> Anyway, I added another server to my domian, created shared
> folders etc.  The PDC sees it and can open the shares on it.
> Win98 machines and other servers see it (the name shows up in
> network neighborhood), but when you try to open it (clicking on
> the computer name) up you get a "Computer share name can not be
> found".  When I do a tracert to its ip address, it returns the
> servers name, but if you try to do a tracert to the servers name
> it can not be found.
>
> I supose I could reload NT 4.0, but I am sure that you can give me
> an easier way to solve my problem.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> grampadavid

  The fact that the name shows up in Network Neighborhood means that
the name is in the list supplied by the Master Browser -- almost
certainly the PDC, which can see the new server.  However, clients
are not managing to resolve its name to an IP address via NetBIOS
broadcast, WINS, or DNS.

  You say that tracert to its address shows the name.  Does it then
successfully tracert all the way to the server?  Can it be pinged, by
name and/or by address?
  Do you have a WINS and/or DNS server in the network?  Do you have
protocols besides TCP/IP installed on any machine?  Are you using
DHCP?
  What does the segment topology look like?  Can you tell me what
addresses you're using?  (You can send that to me privately if you'd
rather not share it with the list.)

  (My hunch at this point is that there is something wrong with its
TCP/IP configuration, but that the PDC can talk to it because they
both have IPX/SPX or NetBEUI installed.  I'd suspect that it didn't
have TCP/IP installed at all -- I think an original install of NT
Server just loads IPX/SPX and NetBEUI and not TCP/IP... -- except
that you clearly think it has an IP address assigned, and somthing is
coming up with its name when you try to tracert to it.)

Dave Gillett

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>